Provides face-to-face or telephonic assistance for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) formerly known as food stamps to reduce food insecurity and SSI/SSDI Outreach, Access, and Recovery (SOAR), a model that helps individuals experiencing or at risk of homelessness who have a serious mental illness, medical impairment, and/or a co-occurring substance use disorder apply for Social Security disability benefits. Provides guidance in understanding benefits and acts as a liaison for future client follow up and communication. Provides leadership and assistance to organization by maintaining an up-to date knowledge and understanding of policy issues related to the SNAP Program, SOAR, technology related knowledge, and general awareness of other benefits and human services for referral purposes, if needed.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Complete initial SNAP Outreach training and maintain training necessary to remain up-to-date in Department of Children and Families requirements.
- Disseminate SNAP information and printed materials at food pantries, community centers and service agencies, libraries, special outreach events and other locations where low-income households seek assistance.
- Establish office hours to provide in-person and telephonic application assistance.
- Provide detailed explanation of SNAP benefits to potential applicants; connect individuals with appropriate food distributions.
- Assist potentially eligible individuals with the Florida online ACCESS SNAP application in-person or via telephone.
- Act as liaison for future client follow up and communication, return phone calls and emails and promote self-sufficiency through education on SNAP processes.
- Maintain and update records and reports for all SNAP applications produced through Link2Feed SNAP Outreach Application.
- Work with referral sources and community partners to identify applicants through team meetings, outreach, and referrals
- Complete interviews with individuals to gather information to complete SSI/SSDI applications
- Gather medical records and other information to complete SSI/SSDI applications
- Write SOAR Medical Summary Reports for individual applications
- Accompany individuals to appointments at the Social Security Administration
- Coordinate visits to medical doctors, psychiatrists, and other specialists to obtain
evidence for the application
Coordinate case management services with partners and help with providing case management services to individuals when needed
Participates in conference calls related to SNAP and SOAR as assigned by Site Manager.
Other duties as assigned.
- REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS/SKILLS:
- A Bachelors degree in a related field, or 5 years of documented related case management experience
- At least three years work experience with outreach, health care and/or other social services.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet frequent deadlines
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, including demonstration of active listening skills.
- Commitment to maintaining confidentiality.
- Good writing skills and the ability to analyze extensive data and create written reports with accuracy and brevity
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries and engagement skills with a challenging population and in non-traditional work conditions
- Computer experience, including troubleshooting and problem solving and proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel)and database management
- Demonstrates empathy, respect, and understanding of community values and members.
- Experience with providing outreach and successful engagement to a diverse population, includes working with clients, developing trust, and conducting interviews in non-traditional settings and unstructured environments
- Understanding of community resources, programmatic goals, and understanding of organizational values and processes.
- Ability to accommodate a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Frequent travel by foot, car, or other means appropriate to making contact with population
- Valid Florida drivers license and reliable transportation required. Must show proof of valid auto insurance.
Must be authorized to work in the United States.
Minimum Education: Bachelor's Degree
Minimum Experience: 36 months