CareerSource Heartland Training OpportunitiesIn partnership with our network of approved training providers, you may be eligible to receive funds toward completion of job training in an in-demand occupation that leads to a vocational/occupational skills certificate/diploma.
In today’s job market, it is critical that you have the knowledge and skills necessary to meet the needs of employers to compete. CareerSource Heartland is here to help!Through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA), you may receive career guidance and possibly financial help with your training-related costs such as:
- Tuition and fees
Career Seekers interested in training assistance must:
- If unemployed, first access Career Services to seek employment, and be unsuccessful landing a job.
- Be deemed suitable for training (likely to succeed and gain employment upon completion, as determined by a trained career specialist).
- Meet all eligibility requirements. Eligibility is assessed individually and is based upon various factors including household income, employment status, and current employability.
- Participate in training with an approved training provider as listed on CareerSource Heartland’s Approved Training Providers/Programs. Note: In order for training programs to be added to the approved list, they must first be considered “in-demand” and be on the Demand Occupations List for the CareerSource Heartland Local Area of DeSoto, Hardee, Highlands, and Okeechobee Counties.
- Compare the performance of approved training providers by Program:
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) when enrolling in programs that are eligible for federal financial aid.
- Meet admission requirements of the training provider and be accepted into the training program of interest.
- Be willing to provide all required documentation and meet with your career specialist no less than monthly.
- Share the good news when you land a job!
- Commit to follow-up with a CareerSource Heartland representative periodically for a year after you start your new career.
A. Career Services, available via walk-in to everyone who is legally eligible to work in the United States, may include:
- On-line access to numerous career and employment-related websites listing job openings throughout the State of Florida.
- Assistance with job search, resume development, and interview skills.
- Access to a How-to resource library with career and job-related books, videos and interactive training.
- Career guidance, skills assessments, workshops, labor market & training program information.
- Assistance with identifying your transferable skills.
- Access to hiring events and job fairs, & help with job placement.
Scholarships for job training are provided through funds made available through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA).
B. Scholarships for Training Services—the following general requirements apply:
- Must be a resident of DeSoto, Hardee, Highlands, or Okeechobee County.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Meet U.S. Citizenship requirements or hold current Permanent Resident Alien Card.
- All males born after December 31st, 1959 must meet Selective Service registration requirements.
- Household income falls within specific program guidelines.
You may also qualify if one of the following applies:
- You are about to be or have been laid off from your job and are unlikely to return to the same or similar position; and you are eligible for, receiving or have exhausted your reemployment compensation benefits.
- You are a displaced homemaker no longer supported by the income of another family member and are unemployed or underemployed.
- You are a former contract worker or self-employed individual who is unemployed due to current economic conditions.
To learn more about scholarships for job training, please attend a “WIOA” Orientation at 10 a.m. at one of the following CareerSource Heartland locations:
DeSoto County • 2160 NE Roan Ave., Arcadia • Orientation every Monday
Highlands County • 5901 US Hwy 27 S, Suite 1, Sebring • Orientation every Wednesday
Okeechobee County • 207 SW Park St., Okeechobee • Orientation every Tuesday
Or at 11 a.m. at our Hardee Center:
324 6th Ave. North, Wauchula • Orientation every Tuesday