Overview of the CareerSource Heartland Region
Not Seasonally Adjusted August 19, 2022
- The unemployment rate in the CareerSource Heartland region (DeSoto, Hardee, Highlands, and Okeechobee counties) was 3.7 percent in August 2022. This rate was 1.6 percentage points lower than the region’s year ago rate of 5.3 percent. The region’s August 2022 unemployment rate was 0.9 percentage point above the state rate of 2.8 percent. The labor force was 76,345, up 747 (+1.0 percent) over the year. There were 2,814 unemployed residents in the region.
- DeSoto County had the lowest unemployment rate (2.8 percent) in the CareerSource Heartland region followed by Okeechobee County (3.0 percent), Hardee County (3.8 percent), and Highlands County (4.4 percent).
- Employment by industry in the CareerSource Heartland region totaled 56,282 jobs in March 2022 (the latest available data). CareerSource Heartland region’s employment increased by 1,063 jobs (+1.9 percent) over the year.
- The Professional and Business Services (+18.0 percent) and Education and Health Services (+3.3 percent) industries grew faster in the region than statewide over the year.
- The industries gaining jobs over the year were Professional and Business Services (+744 jobs); Leisure and Hospitality (+402 jobs); Education and Health Services (+310 jobs); Trade, Transportation, and Utilities (+304 jobs); and Other Services (+28 jobs).
- The industries losing jobs over the year were Natural Resources and Mining (-455 jobs); Government (-216 jobs); Manufacturing (-35 jobs); Construction (-21 jobs); Information (-11 jobs); and Financial Activities (-8 jobs).
Sebring Metro Area:
- In August 2022, nonagricultural employment in the Sebring MSA was 24,900, a decrease of 200 jobs (-0.8 percent) over the year.
- The Government (-100 jobs) industry lost jobs over the year.
Note: All data are subject to revision.
Source: Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, Bureau of Workforce Statistics and Economic Research.
|Unemployment Rates (%)|
(not seasonally adjusted)
Employment by Industry
Covered by Unemployment Compensation
(not seasonally adjusted)
|Natural Resources and Mining||76,686||77,298||-612||-0.8|
|Trade, Transportation, and Utilities||1,896,006||1,797,839||98,167||5.5|
|• Wholesale Trade||370,772||349,535||21,237||6.1|
|• Retail Trade||1,115,949||1,079,374||36,575||3.4|
|• Transportation, Warehousing, and Utilities||409,285||368,930||40,355||10.9|
|Professional and Business Services||1,549,218||1,416,330||132,888||9.4|
|Education and Health Services||1,358,214||1,319,530||38,684||2.9|
|Leisure and Hospitality||1,230,783||1,072,307||158,476||14.8|
|Average Annual Wage||2021||2020||Change||% Change|