Overview of the CareerSource Heartland Region
Not Seasonally Adjusted January 20, 2023
- The unemployment rate in the CareerSource Heartland region (DeSoto, Hardee, Highlands, and Okeechobee counties) was 2.9 percent in December 2022. This rate was 0.4 percentage point lower than the region’s year ago rate of 3.3 percent. The region’s December 2022 unemployment rate was 0.7 percentage point above the state rate of 2.2 percent. The labor force was 76,572, up 401 (+0.5 percent) over the year. There were 2,237 unemployed residents in the region.
- Okeechobee County had the lowest unemployment rate (2.2 percent) in the CareerSource Heartland region followed by DeSoto County (2.4 percent), Hardee County (2.5 percent), and Highlands County (3.6 percent).
- Employment by industry in the CareerSource Heartland region totaled 55,316 jobs in September 2022 (the latest available data). CareerSource Heartland region’s employment increased by 1,080 jobs (+2.0 percent) over the year.
- The Government (-0.1 percent) industry grew as fast or faster in the region than statewide over the year.
- The industries gaining jobs over the year were Trade, Transportation, and Utilities (+434 jobs); Education and Health Services (+408 jobs); Professional and Business Services (+318 jobs); Financial Activities (+65 jobs); Leisure and Hospitality (+36 jobs); and Other Services (+9 jobs).
- The industries losing jobs over the year were Natural Resources and Mining (-118 jobs); Construction (-62 jobs); Manufacturing (-46 jobs); Information (-23 jobs); and Government (-9 jobs).
Sebring Metro Area:
- In December 2022, nonagricultural employment in the Sebring MSA was 25,500, a decrease of 100 jobs (-0.4 percent) over the year.
- The Government industry was unchanged in jobs over the year.
Note: All data are subject to revision.
Source: Florida Department of Economic Opportunity, Bureau of Workforce Statistics and Economic Research.
|Unemployment Rates (%)|
(not seasonally adjusted)
Employment by Industry
Covered by Unemployment Compensation
(not seasonally adjusted)
|Natural Resources and Mining||64,416||65,224||-808||-1.2|
|Trade, Transportation, and Utilities||3,911,000||1,833,855||2,077,145||113.3|
|• Wholesale Trade||378,631||357,658||20,973||5.9|
|• Retail Trade||3,119,401||1,090,979||2,028,422||185.9|
|• Transportation, Warehousing, and Utilities||412,968||385,218||27,750||7.2|
|Professional and Business Services||1,589,481||1,475,316||114,165||7.7|
|Education and Health Services||1,396,933||1,325,547||71,386||5.4|
|Leisure and Hospitality||1,237,277||1,146,213||91,064||7.9|
|Average Annual Wage||2021||2020||Change||% Change|